In this short article, I discuss how to reduce bloating by eating foods that help do this and removing stuff that is known to cause bloating.
First look at your diet.
Try avoiding known bloating and gas producing foods such as broccoli, cauliflower, salt, beans, cabbage, onions, red meat, and anything that makes you (personally) bloat ie allergic reactions to certain grains, oats, eggs and dairy etc.
If preparing for a big event.. also try eliminating any carbonated drinks including beer, sugars and sweets, anti-acid pills and anything containing artificial sweeteners.
MY TOP 10 ACTION PLAN - Experiment with the following:
- Eat known diuretic foods such as asparagus, celery and watermelon, which all may help reduce that bloated feeling.
- Drink two cups of green tea a day.
- Eat chilli-packed food - spicy dishes can cause our bodies to let go of excess water.
- Natural Herbs include Peppermint, Ginger, Parsley, Fennel, Camomile, Anise and Lemon
- Pro-Biotic Yogurt (for digestion)
- Try adding 1-2 Bananas per day
- Check water intake - buy a 1.5 litre bottle of water and ensure you finish it each day!
- PRUNES pack a punch! According to Dr Maoshing Ni one Hollywood's top Chinese medicine , a daily handful of prunes is the best way to prevent a bloated belly before a big night out. What's more, they contain wrinkle-fighting free-radical absorbers, so they're great for your skin, too.
- Exercise! Especially at lactate threshold to help remove excess fluid and keep your body systemically tuned up.
- Eat less frequently and/or reduce your caloric intake consuming closer to your resting metabolic rate (RMR) - I recommend the 3FT (both suitable exercise and details on the 3FT can be found as part of this package)
Other causes of bloating may include some medications, constipation, gynaecological issues, too much food or poor diet, allergies and peri menopause (more on combating menopause coming soon).
What to Do Next
Look at your diet and habits around food and exercise and make adjustments based on the above advice. Test for 3 days and eliminate the problems. If you are still suffering, you might want to take a visit to your doctor to rule out any other possible causes.