I am not one for doctors and do not visit them unless I feel very ill.
I do however get a blood test every so often to check my condition - the blood never lies!
For those of you like me who rarely visit a doctors surgery, it helps to know when a real emergency needs attention. I came across a really good article at the Mayo site which gives the 10 Symptoms where you absolutely need to Seek Medical Advice -
The 10 Symptoms NOT To Ignore Are:
- Unexplained Weight Loss
- Persistent or High Fever
- Unexplained or Acute Shortness of Breath
- Unexplained changes in Bowel Habits
- Delirium - Sudden Confused Thinking or Disorientation
- Sudden Severe Headaches
- Sudden Weakness, Loss of Vision or Speech
- Flashes of Light in your Vision
- Feeling Full after Eating very little
- Hot, Red or Swollen Joint
If any of these symptoms are present, read more about the specific details in the full article - check it out here
Otherwise, it is recommended you get a regular check up every year after the age of 45 males, 50 females (or sooner especially if you have family history of disease or non lifestyle related health problems.